A 12-week (one day a week) alternative education programme, run during school term times.
The programme is designed to engage with young people from primary school age to 19 who meet one of the following criteria:
- At risk of exclusion from mainstream education
- NEET (Not in Employment Education or Training)
- Disengaged as they don’t always have the chance to join in eg. Looked After Children, Young Carers, Young People with Disabilities, Young People from Ethnic Minorities
Activities include: Practical fire service activities (using hoses, fire extinguishers, youth breathing apparatus, hydrants, foam, search & rescue techniques), Teambuilding activiites, Outdoor Pursuits, First Aid, Health Awareness, Road Safety, Water Safety, Community Safety Awareness (hoax calls, arson, safety in the home, bonfire & firework safety).
- To instil fundamental fire service principles of self discipline, leadership & teamwork
- Develop wider key skills in communication, problem solving, working with others
- Limit social exclusion
- Reduction in the number of pupils excluded from mainstream education
- Positive engagement with vulnerable young people
- Engage & educate young people to create fire safe citizens
- Gain qualifications to enhance employment prospects